Sunday, November 18, 2012

Music De Cordiality

The richness of music composition just consumes me.  When I close my eyes, a piece of music can transport me to another time, place, setting, or even another universe.  "Earhart-Sounds of Courage," by Robert W. Smith is a piece of such stature.  Last weekend, on a Saturday, November 10, 2012 at the Kinkaid School in  Downtown Houston, I was invited to witness the performance of a chosen few for the, "Regional Band," in the whole area of Houston, Texas.  When I came in, there were children all running around, being ushered onto stage to get ready to perform.  The Middle School and High School region bands were ready to play, to show the world of an arrangement of such a height that would never come together in that form again to play such a piece.  Another piece that transported me to another dimension and time was the piece, "Heroes Triumphant," by William Owens.  Both pieces had an air of magnificence about them with a march style of music.  Never had I witnessed such a change in my heart until I heard those two pieces.  I was on the verge of tears like never before.  The students joined in congress, gathered from all the schools in the Houston area.  I heard that they had difficulty at first, but worked together very well to form the master band I heard upon walking into the Brown Theater on the Kinkaid Campus.  To think they only accomplished this in a span of less than 8 hours!  These kids had to have had really sophisticated training in music.   I hope that all musicians throughout the world would be inspired to try and achieve great heights and pieces like such.

No comments:

Post a Comment